When you have a product liability claim, you need to go with the best. A qualified product liability attorney will be able to help you navigate this complicated area of law and make sure that you get the compensation you deserve.
Here are a few tips:
- The first step is to figure out what type of case you have and what kind of damages you've suffered. Do you have an injury? Was the product defective? Did it cause your injury? Once you know what kind of claim you have, then you can start looking for an attorney who specializes in that type of claim.
- Do some research. You can start by looking online at various law firms' websites and checking out their bios, credentials and experience.
- Ask your friends, family, and colleagues if they know of any good attorneys in your area.
- Find out if the attorney is board-certified as a specialist in products liability by going to the American Board of Trial Advocates website (www.abota.org) and searching for an attorney who practices in your state and has listed that certification on their profile page under "board members.
- Make sure the attorney has experience with similar cases. Some states have different laws regarding product liability, so it's important that the attorney knows how to navigate those laws and fight for your rights under them.
- Look at their track record; reviews from other clients will give you insight into whether or not this is someone who cares about helping people like yourself get fair treatment from large corporations. If they've been sued multiple times by big companies and still prevailed, then that's a good sign!
- Once you've found an attorney who meets your criteria for experience, it's time to set up an appointment with him or her so that they can go over all of your options with you before accepting your case.
No matter how careful you are as a manufacturer, you might eventually have to deal with a defective product. But although problems and recalls happen, they can be relatively uncomplicated affairs if you know where to turn. A good lawyer will be aware of the complexities of the situation, so finding one with experience in your field is imperative. From there, it's all about making sure that you will have the help you need to handle any issues that might come up.
Barbara Parson works at Los Angeles Product Liability. She has been involved with personal injury and burn injury lawsuits for the past twelve years and wants to share her knowledge with others.